Terminology 3 is a complete re-write that brings the app into the iOS 7 world with a new user interface, and a great new feature set that is informed by my work with Drafts. Think of Terminology not just as a dictionary, but as a place to start all your searches.
Terminology starts with a great offline U.S. English dictionary-thesaurus built around exploring word relationships. Its concise definitions are complimented by deep heirarchical information about the language – with not just synonyms and antonyms, but more and less specific terms, member/part relationships and more.
On top of that, Terminology offers fully customizable actions to build links to other websites and apps. Sample actions for Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Google and other common reference sites come with the app – and many more ready-to-install actions are available in our Action Directory. Using actions make Terminology a great place to start all your searches, and browse results from many different resources without the pain of navigating and re-searching for your terms.
So much is new that I won’t list it all here, please look at the Terminology page for more detail, but the some of the highlights include:
- Now a new universal (iPad/iPhone) app with iCloud sync for favorite terms and histories.
- Updated offline dictionary with advanced word relations (more and less specific words, member/part relations and more).
- Custom actions extend Terminology to make it easy to browse results for your searches at other reference websites or in other apps that support integration.
- Terminology Action Directory to find ready to install actions to extend Terminology (or build your own).
- Launches to search, making it a great place to start all your searches, not just dictionary lookups.
- Great export and sharing options, including full definition export (in Markdown format).
- Dropbox export of favorites and history.
- Customizable fonts.